Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentines FOR HIM!

I am so excited for this Valentines Day! This is the first year (since 2009) that Joe and I get to spend the actual day together! His schedule, in years past, have put him working on pretty much every holiday including this one of love. So when I found out that his shift had Valentines day off I had all these grandiose ideas for what we would do. Then came the bummer news.....he's in class....all week....in Portland (1.5 hours away)....until 5pm. You know when you see the air leaving a balloon and the balloon quickly shrinks and makes that horrible noise while flying all over the place? Well that was my emotion to that news. Then I picked my emotions up and decided that I will not let that ruin our Valentines, it just won't be a fun filled, all day adventure like I had planned. Joe told me since he was going to be in class that he couldn't plan an evening date so it's all on me this year. I decided that if I am responsible for planning this date that I was going to go all out, no holds bar for a special date for him. 

Step 1: finding a sitter. Literally everybody I know have plans, and probably everybody they knew have plans for the evening as well. So I went will my fail safe; my mom and dad. Luckily their anniversary falls 2 days after Valentines so they don't really celebrate Valentines and gladly and willingly will take our kids. 

Step 2: reservations. If you live in the Albany/Corvallis area, you know that our selection of restaurants is limited, our selection of Fine dining restaurants is even more limited. I called all the restaurants that appeal to the hubby and I and they were all booked for Valentines. Over a week out and they were filled already!!! I was freaking out. How was I going to make this day special for Joe? Well his class is in Portland, and while I hate driving I am willing to pick him up from class to go to dinner there. (He carpooled with a few other guys this week so we didn't have to worry about having both our cars up there). I call around and most places up there are booked for regular dinner hours and have like 4:30 or 10:00 open, not happening. I found a place I've never heard of before, Aquariva. They have a special Valentines menu-4 courses- with local ingredients and wine pairing and it's right on the river...how romantic. I booked us for 5:30, hopefully Joe's class doesn't run late because I am wayyyy excited about this place. (Food review to come on Aquariva, check the link for their normal menu). 

Step 3: his gift. This was perhaps the easiest part of this whole plan the date out thing. I decided to make him a man bouquet. I'd seem them on pinterest, but I went a little bigger on mine. See I have this movie scene idea in my head for when I pick him up. You know in Pretty Woman when Richard Gere's character is in his suit holding a bouquet of roses and he is by the limo at the end? Well I kind of want to do that; sub suit for nice dress, roses for the man bouquet and limo for Saturn Vue, lol. Below is how I constructed the bouquet and what you will need if you want to make one too. 

Step 4: home. When we get home from dinner I wanted to surprise him with some chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. So instead of ordering berries for a ridiculous price (seriously 6 strawberries for $20, thats crazy!) I made my own. I even attempted to decorate them. Below, below is how I did that. 
Not super pretty but they will suffice. 

I hope you all have a wonderful Valentines day! I will fill you in on how ours goes.  Surprise your fella/friends with something fun! Ciao!!!

The man bouquet:
You will need:
A bucket/mug/pale-(I used a large popcorn bucket that I found at the craft store-it was big enough to fit a 6 pack in it-optional)
Florists foam or styrofoam would work too
Florists wire or wooden dowel
Hot glue gun with LOTS of hot glue
Airplane shots
Cigars
Scratch its
Candy
Beef Jerky
Anything else your fella would like (duck tape, popcorn, twinkies, you name it)
 optional (paper for cutting out flowers to glue to the tops of everything)
Ribbon
Confetti/stuffing for the base

Fill the base of your bucket with florists foam (or a 6 pack and florists foam in my case) 
Start hot gluing the florists wire to the objects of your bouquet. Make sure it is sturdy because it will have to stand on its own. Once the glue is dry stick the wire in the florists foam. Fill up the bucket with the remainder of your goodies. I cut out paper flowers and glued them to the top of everything to give it a flower bouquet look. Here are a few examples
cigars, scratch its and beef jerky

Candy, airplane shots, and a lighter for the cigars

You can barely see the 6 pack in the base

Mini treats as well. 

Chocolate Covered Strawberries
1/4 cup dark chocolate
2 Tbsp. Heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp. Butter
Strawberries
Sprinkles/Nuts

Mix all chocolate, cream and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds and let sit for about 1 minute. Stir until mixture is velvety smooth. Dip strawberries in until mostly covered. If using sprinkles, immediately dip into sprinkles.  Place on a wax paper/parchment paper covered dish and chill. Let them harden for 10-15 min and serve whenever you are ready. 

 Bon Apetit!

1 comment:

  1. I hope Joe doesn't read your blog! Also, you totally showed me up. I made homemade tomato soup w grilled cheese and we are watching a horror film.

    ReplyDelete